- 36.3 effective megapixel full-frame (35.9 mm × 24 mm) sensor with ISO 100–6400 (ISO 50–25600 boost)
- Nikon Expeed 3 image processor
- Pop-up flash that doubles as a wireless flash controller
- 91,000 pixel RGB metering sensor with Advanced Scene Recognition System
- Advanced Multi-CAM3500FX auto-focus sensor (51-point, 15 cross-type, 11 points sensitive at maximum apertures as small as f/8)
- Image sensor cleaning
- 4 frames per second in continuous FX mode or 5:4 crop mode. 5 frames per second in continuous 1.2× crop mode or DX (APS-C) mode. With the optional MB-D12 battery grip, fitted with either the EN-EL18 battery pack of the D4 or AA batteries, continuous shooting at 6 frames per second in 1.2× crop mode or DX mode is supported.
- Buffer size: To be announced
- Built-in HDR mode (2 frames up to 3EV apart)
- USB 3.0 connectivity
- 1080p Full HD movie mode at 24/25/30 fps, 720p at 25/30/50/60 fps, HDMI HD video output, stereo monitor headphone out, and stereo input (3.5-mm diameter) with manual sound level control.
- Shutter rated at 200,000 actuations
- Live View with either phase detect or improved contrast detect Auto Focus
- 'Active D-Lighting' with 6 settings and bracketing (adjusts metering and D-Lighting curve)
- Dual card slots, one CompactFlash UDMA and one SD UHS-I card slot (mirror, overflow, back-up, RAW on 1/JPEG on 2, Stills on 1/Movies on 2, copy)
- Weather sealing comparable to D700, but less robust than D4
Nikon D800 Features.